View Single Post
Old February 11, 2001, 11:32 AM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

In the 1890's Winchester was using a very large progressive to make their ammunition. Elord Mott copied the design, downsized it considerably and brought it out in the very late 20's or early 30's as the Star Progressive, named after the Star pier in San Diego where it was made.

Star made progressives from about 1930 until Elord death maybe five years ago. I knew him. He hand assemblied every one they ever shipped up until his dealth. There is a new owner now but, well, he isn't doing anything with the company.

I use to collect progressives. Had one each of every one Star ever made, a straight line, a simple progressive, a universal (several), a pistol/223 machine and a rifle machine. Star produced about 500 units a year. The rifle machine was made at the Army's insistence to arm the locals in south asia. Rather rare.

Star also helped Dillon get started. His first product was the Super Star kit which converted a Star Universal pistol tool into a 223 reloader. Mike Dillon (who I also know) thanked his friends by trying to drive them out of business. With friends like Mike you don't need to many enemies.

Except for the few machines assembled after Elord's death, all Star's were beautifully made. A good condition used one should cost about $500 today. Also there were copies like the Phelps, CPM, Berdon, Dillon RL1000, a unit made in Australia and a fellow who scaled the design up to load 50 BMG.

Find a used Star and buy it. They are very good tools. Be sure, however, that it is in good working order and that you have the powder bars that you'll need.

Page generated in 0.03252 seconds with 8 queries