View Single Post
Old January 11, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1
5whiskey

Anyone thought of stockpiling lead?

So I tried to figure if I should put this in reloading, casting, or even the legal section but I figured the general discussion forum would suffice. There has been the "scare" rumor going around about Doe Run Lead Smelter and how it was supposed to end the manufacture of lead bullets in America. Turns out, that was hype and shouldn't effect any of us for the near future.

HOWEVER, there are already states and municipalities that have lead bullet bans and I could absolutely see this being used as a tactic to limit the availability of ammo for sale and use. The most notable example, of course, is California's bill AB711 which bans using lead ammo for hunting. Also the military is switching to "green bullets," and many media outlets have latched onto this fact. Some of this might be over-hyped, but I think we all recognize that there is a very large group in America that would LOVE to see every gun taken away from the average citizen. They will take any means and action necessary. I don't think anyone will require evidence of this fact to believe it, but some of the evidence can be found here... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539625.

With this in mind, is anyone stockpiling lead to cast for projectiles later? I don't have the money to stockpile raw ammo. Shoot, I reload and I'm scraping the resources to stockpile components to make it through an extended ammo drought. I don't know that I'm dying to get into casting right now for a number of reasons, including time and work space confinements. However, I must admit that it makes sense to hold onto a few hundred pounds of scrap wheel weights and a mold just in case. While .06 a round is reasonable enough to keep me out of a new hobby for now (though if I shot more I may could justify it), I can stock up enough scrap lead to shoot for a long time for just a few hundred bucks. Has anyone else thought of this?

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries