View Single Post
Old January 11, 2011, 09:58 AM   #14
KevinOpp

Open carry is not legal in NY State. Concealed is mandatory. The concealed limitation is not enforced while hunting or at the gun club, but you can't carry openly in the state even with a license! Fishing with open carry is a little vague. A lot depends on where you are.

not true. it's a county by county decision. where i live, Delaware County, we do have open carry avaiable (i have read other posts before about people envious of a Delaware County permit).

we do have our local "characters" that always carry open wherever they go, everyone around here knows who they are. i've sat in restaurants next to a particular fellow who has holsters on each hip. and all perfectly legal.

Restrictions on New York State handgun licenses vary wildly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In contrast to "practically no carry" New York City, and some county Judges who only issue "to and from target shooting, hunting and fishing" licenses, many upstate New York counties issue "unrestricted" handgun licenses that allow unrestricted concealed carry of a loaded handgun (except for important exceptions such as schools, court houses/rooms, secure areas of airports). Some of the most rural upstate counties (such as Delaware County) specifically do not enforce the "concealed" language in New York State's licensing law, thereby effectively allowing open carry.

Page generated in 0.02138 seconds with 8 queries