Thread: newbie question
View Single Post
Old April 19, 2010, 04:40 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

As I said earlier....

.....I am not well informed on restoration of original revolvers. I am applying the rule of thumb that new parts or a new finish on an original pistol will reduce its value with the full knowledge that rules of thumb can not be universally applied. My comments about this particular pistol addressed the issue that it appeared that the gentleman wanted to change the appearance of the pistol from original to new as he was changing its operation from unshootable to shootable. I acknowledge that is two different things and I did not mention that in the response.

I would say that an Auburn Speeder restored by someone who does not know what he is doing would be worth less after he is finished as long as we assume that it will deteriorate no further if left alone. That is probably true of the pistol in someone's house but not of the Speeder in a barn. So...No I would salvage and restore the speeder so as to prevent its inevitable loss but that pistol had already been salvaged and I think could not be restore and hence should be left alone.

When I handled the pistol the loading lever operated properly but loosely. The cylinder pin moved easily but loosely. I did not try the action. The pistol appeared complete and the grips were not broken. The rifling was visible but not very. My reaction at the time was that the pistol was too far gone but I could be wrong. I doubted it would be accurate or reliable and I thought perhaps it might be dangerous although these are opinions of one who has already admitted he is under-informed on original pistol restoration.

I know nothing about the fellow accept that he did not seem to know much about black powder revolvers...source of replacement parts....European proof marks....and such. It is entirely possible that the restoration actually began before he bought it and that he was just making the best of it.

But it appeared to me that he took an item that had only historical value and destroyed that value with no hope of increasing its value in any other way. Obviously I did not tell him of my feelings because it is his 350.00, his time and his sandpaper. He looked very happy about the whole situation.

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 8 queries