View Single Post
Old September 5, 2007, 04:20 PM   #10
AJD21

Should you have Turnbull do your pistol it would be beautiful. He does the carbona blue and color case hardening for US Firearms.

My two USFA Pre War revolvers with high polish carbona blue.

EDIT TO ADD:

I remembered reading a topic on the smith-wessonforum.com a while ago about carbona blue and a name that came up was Gene Williams. Apparently he uses a modern blueing method that produces an appearance similar to carbona blue. Here is the thread and a few intersting tidbits.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for...4961024721/p/3

"Gene Williams does some awesome work, but he only does the modern hot salts bluing. Now, having said that, Roy Jinks at a gunshow was fooled by the correct color he gets it to match the carbonia bluing. Jinks was amazed when I told him several years ago. Gene's guns come out looking correct inspite of the fact he uses the modern bluing. I had a Colt 1917 done this way and it looks like it rolled out of the factory in 1917."

Roy Jinks is the S&W Historian. So if he was fooled by Gene Williams "carbona" blue imitation thats a pretty good endorsement.

Another post..

"I think he re-blued my Triple Lock (possibly the first S&W he restored) about 10 times before he got it the way he wanted it... It has fooled experts several times and it was in very bad shape when I got it."

His contact phone number is in that thread. I don't know if he works on new stuff or only restorations but it might be worth calling him and seeing what you can find out.

Page generated in 0.03510 seconds with 8 queries