View Single Post
Old December 23, 2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Huck1969

I have modified three Mausers that had bolt clearance issues.

The first (Yugo M48 - has a "wide-arc bent bolt that won't clear a normal rear mounted scope). I went the expensive route and it sent to Ken Farrell Industries. Ken cut off the bolt handle and welded on another; drilled and tapped the receiver and mounted one of his custom steel bases with Picatinny (MILSPEC 1913) spacing. It is rock solid and shoots 1 MOA with my reloads. Ken bases are excellent but your rifle needs to be drilled and tapped and have a bent bolt. He also makes them for almost any modern sporting rifle.

The second (Yugo 24/7 - a straight bolt) I left the bolt alone and ordered a scout base from S&K Scope Mounts, a little outfit run by a husband and wife that make their own design scout-type bases for various surplus rifles. They probably have one that will fit your Mauser. These bases are aluminum "weaver type" and the "slots" on them are NOT Picatinny spaced (there is a difference). The base installs in less than ten minutes and replaces the rear leaf sight. They use two attachment points and additionally have two set screws for gross elevation adjustment. I also ordered their bases for a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and a 1903 A1. Contact them S&K Scope Mounts 800-578-9862 and view the bases online at scopemounts.com.

The third (Yugo 48A - also a wide arc bolt), I also left the bolt alone and installed an after market Picatinny spaced scout base that I found at a gunshow and haven't been able to determine the brand. It is aluminum and has only one attachment point and two set screws (one forward; one aft of the attachment screw on the rear sight leaf). Although it seemed to be a solid installation it loosens slightly after several rounds fired at the range. I have twice tried different ways of solving the loosening and hope yesterday's attempt will fix it.

If you use a scout mount you will need a Long Eye Relief scope, either handgun or LER/EER (Extended Eye Relief). If you don't plan on shooting small targets at 100 yds or hunting large game beyond 100 yds you might consider a red dot or holographic sight.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project.

Jim

Last edited by Huck1969; December 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: To add note and name at end

Page generated in 0.03710 seconds with 8 queries