View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 03:17 PM   #23
BigJimP

I've been reloading, off and on, for well over 30 yrs.../ No, I've never had a squib round - or a malfunction from a reloaded round ( double charge, etc). I've had guns break ( extractors, firing pins, etc )...but not because of my ammo.

I look at reloading as part of the hobby. I buy components in bulk - and reloading a premium jacketed bullet my reloads - with today's cost of components for a 50 round box:
( 9mm, 115 gr, $ 7.75 a box) ...retail in my area $ 19 - $25
(.40S&W 180gr, $ 10.25 a box)..retail in my area $ 25 - $28
(.45 acp 230gr, $ 12.40 a box) ...retail in my area $ 30 - $35

so yes, there is a significant savings....but in reality, I shoot 2 or 3 times more with the same ammo budget !

Like others said ...my reloads are way more accurate than most any factory ammo. Reloading means I have some inventory on ammo ...don't have to shop, fuss about it. Its extremely safe....as long as you understand the process, how your press works, have good procedures and have attention to detail.

I shoot about 20,000 rds a year in a variety of calibers...( 9mm, .40S&W , .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag )....or about 8 boxes a week or so...and if I wasn't reloading ( I'd shoot 4 or 5 boxes a month is all probably )..../ if you invest in a good progressive press - it'll easily load 10 boxes an hour(many of them will do 15 - 20 boxes an hour with case feeders, etc)...so time isn't really a factor.
---------
I recommend reloading as part of the hobby ...if you think you'll enjoy the process. If you do it just to save money ...ok, but that's not the primary motivation for most of us that reload.

Page generated in 0.03230 seconds with 8 queries