View Single Post
Old August 22, 2012, 09:00 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, there's a difference between caution and hysteria.

Load manuals, in their instructional sections, are loaded with all manner of lawyered-up and just plain WAY too conservative suggestions. The Lyman 49th, for example, advises to to never buy "once fired" brass, cases with dents should be discarded same as those with splits, you should NEVER decap a live primer, and that primers should be handled manually.

I've always thought that such overly conservative cautions actually invite danger because a person may decide that ALL the cautions are overly conservative and ignore them all, when some (probably most) are correct. You shouldn't have to be a veteran reloader to know if a caution is real or lawyered-up, it shouldn't be there if it's for the lawyers.

Exceeding published data is one thing, not even being able to load max levels and using factory ammo instead is just silly.

I have a 7-08 because I want a 7-08, not a 7mm 30-30. I have a 204 because I want a 204, not a 20 caliber 22LR.

Good factory ammo can be $47/20 for some cartridges I use (and way more for some I don't), there's no way I'm using factory ammo rather than loading to max potential, if I can get good accuracy at maximum potential.

If I can't, I'll switch to a different powder or bullet until I can.

Page generated in 0.02431 seconds with 8 queries