View Single Post
Old March 12, 2001, 07:47 PM   #17

A friend of mine has a cannon that he made. I was expecting something on the order of a toy. It isn't. And he did a hell of a nice job on it. I think he told me that he used a well casing for the bore. He cut a circle of steel that fit inside the bore and welded it into the bore. He then welded a similar piece of circular steel on the end, so that the breech end was double thick. He then took this to a machine shop and had the whole thing turned down so it looked good. The welds are no longer noticeable. He mounted the barrel to a car axle. He got the axle at a junk yard and cut it to the width he wanted and welded it back together. He put a tongue on it made of an I-Beam. He has a gear driven jack that is welded to the I-Beam to provide for elevation and depression of the barrel. The cannon stands about waist high, and is probably about four feet long. The bore is about 3/4" bigger in diameter than a beer can. I don't remember the load but I think he said it was either one or two cups of black powder (I don't know, don't try this without getting better information). He then loads it with a beer can filled with concrete. He has also filled a beer can about half full of .50 caliber lead round balls. He bought a worm (I think that is the right term) from a local BP shop which he uses to swab the bore out with a wet rag between shots. I have made a few gestures towards putting one together myself. If I build one, it will have to have some type of sighting system. I couldn't get him to fire it through his chrono.
I don't know if any of this is safe. I don't know if any of this is legal. Do not trust any of this information without checking it out with an authority on the subject. This could be dangerous...............

Page generated in 0.03276 seconds with 8 queries