View Single Post
Old October 22, 2013, 05:51 PM   #12
YankeeIronSights

Managing Gun Impulse-Shopping Syndrome

I agree 100% with the notion that buyers should never abuse the benefit of a lay-away plan.

Nevertheless, savvy gun store administrators apply safety measures to discourage buyers from misusing the lay-away service by requiring cancellation fees. Cabela's has this rule in place and it works. Sales clerks can also minimize lay-away abuse by providing solid sales advice and support.

On the other hand, allowing clients to transfer lay-away deposits to a second gun is still good business for the gun store because it ensures an eventual final sale. Of course, small gun shop operators may not have the cash flow to extend this level of service. These are factors that become part of the cost of doing business. A friend once told me: "if you cannot compete with sharks, don't get in the water.."

As a business person, my message to small gun shop owners is: Don't offer lay-away service to customers without requiring a cancellation fee. Waive the fee for valued customers. Never deny a lay-away !!!

New buyers should understand that developing a good business relationship with sales representatives from local gun stores is essential for future gun enthusiasts/collectors. This client/vendor relationship must be sealed by consistent purchases that translate to win/win outcomes for all parties. Many collectors learn about guns by trial and error. Limit the errors by avoiding impulse purchases. If self control is an issue, be ready to pay extra fees or risk making bad purchases...

Now, please keep sharing your thoughts.

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries