Thread: Why not a 303
View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 10:43 AM   #44
Nevmavrick

Why not a .303

The .303 was used in the "Smelly" and had a reputation for being powerful, accurate, and dependable...among MILITARY rifles. The Pattern 14 a little less so because there were fewer of them made and issued.
It's power was the same as the .30/40, which is the same cartridge with a longer neck. That is why Clark is able to shoot .303s in his "30 Gov't." It's chambered for .30/40, not .30/06 as some may think.
Military rifles from THAT era were long, heavy, and powerful, but there were restrictions on ownership of military firearms in the UK. Fewer people owned guns, and hunted, so there was less exposure to rifles by people that weren't actually brought up to use firearms. The US, on the other hand, had lots more areas to hunt, and a heritage for it, so that the Springer, and it's cartridge, were used more. The people did more to make better rifles, and a better cartridge. Rifles became lighter, and cartridges became smaller, so there was more controversy, and more changes.
I've carried a Model 17 Enfield (a version of the P14) since 1959, and I think it's a fine rifle, even if heavier that my other, commercial-sporter rifles.
I think mine is worth a LOT more that other M17s. Realizing that I wouldn't pay $1000 for a primo, matching-number, unmodified M17, I might for MY .300WinMag, Monte-Carlo stocked, cock-on-opening, scoped, Dayton-Traisitor triggered example.
Have fun,
Gene

Page generated in 0.02271 seconds with 8 queries