View Single Post
Old January 21, 2013, 07:09 PM   #34
coachteet

I received this response from my Rep this evening:

"Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding congressional action on gun control in response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary. Your views are important to me as I work to effectively represent you in Congress.

The tragedy in Connecticut is heartbreaking, and I cannot imagine being a parent in that situation. I was shocked and incredibly saddened by such a random act of violence against the most innocent victims imaginable – our nation's children. My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to everyone affected. I agree that we must have a serious discussion on what we can do to prevent mass-casualty shootings in the future.

As a sportsman, gun owner, and active member of the U.S. Army Reserve, I approach this subject with a deep respect for firearms and the Second Amendment. Millions of Americans safely and routinely own and use firearms for hunting, hobby, and self-protection. This includes many residents of southern and southwestern Ohio, and many of our friends and neighbors.

I have serious concerns that additional regulations adopted in response to this tragedy would not only limit the rights of law-abiding Americans, but would also not solve the problem of gun violence in our nation. As we explore potential policy solutions, we must not forget nor minimize the Second Amendment, which states, "...the right to bear arms shall not be infringed."

On January 16, President Obama announced an aggressive gun control agenda, including reinstating and strengthening the assault weapons ban, restoring the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines, and issuing more than 20 executive orders. Realistically, I do not believe that any of these proposals would stop individuals who are determined to end the lives of their fellow citizens.

Additionally, I do not believe the actions of a few disturbed individuals should drive us to infringe on the liberty of all Americans. However, there are legislative steps we can take to make mass-casualty shootings even rarer, including examining how we identify, diagnose, and treat mental illness. I believe that these efforts, especially in regard to gun ownership, will have a more positive and dramatic effect and will lead to increased safety for all Americans. I will be certain to keep your thoughts in mind as the 113thCongress explores these options.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. I invite you to visit my website, http://www.wenstrup.house.gov, where you can email me your thoughts or concerns on this or any other issue important to you, and sign up for my email updates.

Sincerely,

Brad Wenstrup
Member of Congress"

Page generated in 0.03998 seconds with 8 queries