View Single Post
Old December 23, 2012, 08:48 PM   #9
spaniel

For all of my bolt guns, I RARELY need to FL size. I neck size only for 5-6 loadings before bumping the shoulder back. So while one cannot say for certain based on the info you provided, I would not say that brass sizing is the most likely issue.

Do you actually know the dimensions of your chamber? Have you made a dummy round and progressively set the bullet back a thousandth or two at a time, until you can close the bolt, to determine how long your cartridge can be and clear the lands of the rifling? If not, you need to do this. You can buy a gauge to do this but I never have and have just done it the "poor man's" way.

With the rounds you try to chamber but the bolt won't go down, can you see any marking of any kind on the bullet from where the bolt tries to force it into the lands?

Brass sizing could be an issue, but I am more suspicious of OAL until that possibility has been eliminated. Remember, the fired brass came OUT of the chamber. It seems unlikely that you'd size it at all, trim it, and not have it go back in, unless your die is extremely mis-adjusted. Trying to chamber a resized brass, as previously suggested, is the easiest first step.

Page generated in 0.03532 seconds with 8 queries