View Single Post
Old August 6, 1999, 11:37 AM   #1
Futo Inu

This is a question for some of you engineering-knowledgeable types.

I recently had a pistol barrel mag-na-ported which is nothing more than two trapezoidal-shaped holes "cut" into the barrel at about the 10 oclock and 2 o'clock positions. However, most advanced porting systems/comps/muzzle brakes, IINM, will be cut at an ANGLE from rearward on the outside to forward as it goes to the inside (rather than perpendicular to the barrel), so that the gas is ejected up and BACK to push the gun down and forward to reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil respectively. So, wouldn't these Mag-na-port straight/un-angled cuts be inferior or lacking with respect to the latter (felt recoil) and do nothing more than reduce muzzle flip only, which in turn it seems to me would actually INCREASE felt recoil, since the pistol is kept from "releasing" the recoil upwards by way of the muzzle flip, so must instead direct it backwards only - into your hands (which BTW should nevertheless be effective in target re-acq. because of reduced muzzle flip, but the recoil would still be there, seems to me).

I suppose the reason why these are not cut at an angle is because there is not enough distance comprised of the barrel's outer edge width to make a long enough "channel" to direct the gas in a rearward direction; in other words, without a thicker "compensator" unit, it doesn't matter whether the cuts are straight or angled, the gas does not travel far enough through a channel to divert it in a rearward direction. My question appears to be clear as mud by now, so I'll quit while I'm behind to see if anyone knows what I'm asking. TIA.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited August 06, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02256 seconds with 8 queries