View Single Post
Old April 13, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
kraigwy

Pistol:

I know I'm gonna bring a lot of flack with this post, but its just my opinion.

We were issued Remington 870s when I was in LE. I really like the 870, I use to have a 4 guns set (12, 20, 28, & 410) for skeet shooting.

But I seldum used them in police work. I rather have a pistol/revolver. The reasoning, being, the limited range of the shot gun. If I'm in shotgun range, my pistol works just fine. If I'm out of range, then my pistol is better.

As most cops we had a lot of building searches, I felt the shotgun was too unwildly. The pistol was more convienent and faster to get in action. In low light you need a flash light. Its easier to use a flashlight with a revolver then shotgun. Easier to sneak around corners. I used a little mechanic's mirror for peeking around corners, the shotgun was always in the way.

If you caught a bandit, and you were alone, (which we were often), what are you gonna do with the shot gun while you search and cuff the bandit.

I just felt more comfortable with the revolver. I felt more comfortable having to use the revolver in the short ranges limited by shotguns. And like I said, if the target is out of range of the shotgun, the pistol is better.

Same goes for SD now. I always have my pocket pistol, my shotguns are in the gun rack.

I dont mean to start a fuss though I know I'm gonna get flack, but this is my opinion. If for some wierd reason I was to go back into LE (highly unlikely), I'd stick to my Service Revolver and leave the shotguns for bird hunting or clay pigions.

JMHO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03360 seconds with 8 queries