View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 10:11 PM   #15
4thPointofContact

First of all, my apologies for never having returned to this thread and leaving unanswered questions.

The story behind the extended magazine tube:
I knew that the original tubes had been manufactured by Choate so I gave them a call and asked if they still had any in stock. After they all stopped laughing, someone was found that had worked on the original project and said they didn't have any in stock but gave a few pointers on how to do a conversion.

First of all, you need to find another magazine tube, Numrich aka E-Gunparts still has a few in stock last time I looked. Find one and have it welded to your original so that it is 18.5 - 19 inches long. Longer is better, you can fit another round in with the last .5 inch. (It will extend a bit past the muzzle but I haven't seen any effects from blast on it.)

Second. You need to either cut the interior of the stock magazine cap (which holds the upper and lower together) so that it will slide down your new longer tube and hold the two halves together like it's supposed to.
Alternatively, you can have a new cap constructed, it has very simple angles; the only important one being the 45-degree interior angle to hold the receiver together. *Egunparts was out of new ones last time I checked.

Third. You need to find a way to press the newly constructed magazine cap against the receiver halves. On my magazine tube there is a +/- .10 thick or 1/16" thick band which my gunsmith made and placed at the right spot to provide pressure once the tube was screwed in.
Alternatively, you can weld/solder/magic the above newly constructed magazine cap to the tube at the proper location (previously determined and measured by you). Now it will be a permanent part of the tube, never to be lost and ready to do it's holdie-thingie job at any time.

I recommend using the stock, aluminum screw-plug from the M10 on the new magazine tube. All you need to do is blacken it and it's ready to go. Do not let your gunsmith manufacture a tube without 2 holes placed at the end like the original has, those two holes are Very Handy to place a cleaning rod through and use for removing the tube.

Page generated in 0.02290 seconds with 8 queries