View Single Post
Old May 18, 2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Sheikyourbootie

Quote:
Mike Irwin

You know, I've used and loved 37s for years, and this is the FIRST time I've ever heard that the earlier ones had fitted barrels!

Good information.

"These guns are designed for it."

Actually, I'd say it's really a case of not so much the gun was designed for it, it was a case of the gun wasn't originally designed with a disconnector. It was happenstance. I sincerely doubt that the designers of the early shotguns, most of which could be pump fired, really intended for them to be used that way.
The reason I said they are "designed" for it (..."it" being pump/slamfire) is that upon dis-assembly of the gun, it's not just the absence of a trigger disconnect, it's the fact that there is a dedicated second seer (on the pump release bar) that (only when the trigger is held down while pumping) engages a triangular tab on the hammer...it only lets the hammer fall when the bolt is driven home and locked. I would figure that if JM Browning wanted a trigger disconnect, he would have put one in the design.

On my dad's home defense model, there IS a trigger disconnect...AND the second seer is gone, as is the little triangular tab on the hammer from older models. To me, it's not a big deal to be without slam/pumpfire, it just seems like "slamfire" is the original intent of the design?

Looking at the lock-work, it appears that if the triangular tab on the hammer were to ever break off, that an attempted slamfire would result in the hammer following the back of the bolt with insufficient force to dent the primer?

Bushmaster...I'm curious (not being argumentative here) as to why Snyder recommends to never slamfire? Was it because it's supposed to cause damage to the trigger group, or because it could lead to an accidental discharge???? I'm just curious. Curious enough to get his book, in fact. My grandfather would occasionally "slamfire" my 1947 vintage 37 when dove hunting...as has my father....as have I. 60 plus years of occasional slamfire and no mishaps?

I realize that just because you CAN do something...it doesn't mean you SHOULD. I'd like to know what harm can occur from "slamfire"

Page generated in 0.03932 seconds with 8 queries