View Single Post
Old June 6, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
HiBC

There are all kinds of folks selling guns.What questions would you ask a used car salesman?
Narrow it down a bit,what do you mean by an old gun? A WW1 battle rifle or a 1886 Winchester lever action?If you want to learn about old milsurps,I'd suggest a copy of "Small Arms of the World"Old Winchesters?A lot of books,try "Shooting Lever Actions of the Old West" or something like that,Mike Venterino.There are gun "bluebooks" of value.
Learn about what you are buying before you buy it,then rely on your own eyes.
Be sure to ask how often the headlight fluid was changed.Just kidding.If you are totally unfamiliar,as the rifle is offered to you,ask "Would you open the bolt,please?" if the bolt is closed.Then,with the bolt open,look to see there are no cartridges present.Or,ask"May I check to see it is clear?" then open it yourself,keeping it pointed in a safe direction.Do not touch anything without asking permission.
"What can you tell me about this rifle?" is good.
Remember,time is money,and it is a business.There is a balance with how much time you can take from the staff in becoming educated.
Some truly fine folks work behind guncounters,but some truly rude,arrogant,opinionated,stupid people do,too.Caveat Emptor

Last edited by HiBC; June 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.02115 seconds with 8 queries