View Single Post
Old June 2, 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
waltin

Oil and/or Cosmoline in wood stock

In my VZ24 build I was putting dye color back in the stock and I laid it aside along with the hand guard. The hand guard was not yet dyed. The sun had moved and began to sun the two components. When I returned I notices the hand guard was oozing oil. Thankfully, the stock was not.

I had in my earlier preparation used the Whiting formula twice to try to eliminate the cosmo/oil. It was caked in some very small crevices and there was a little bit darkness in the wood elsewhere on the guard. Nothing really apparent on the outside. I thought after the Whiting process and by the color of the guard that I had got the cosmo/oil out. The grain and grain rings are very noticeable, so much so it doesn't complement the stock. I applied the Whiting again and left the hand guard in the sun and saw the soaking effect work.

I have a feeling that the wood is so saturated it will never completely come out. I had planed to oil finish the wood with a mix of varnish at the finish stage. At first I was thinking I'd finish the stock as planned and leave the guard alone after dying. However, I guess I can proceed adding the oil finish to make the wood more water resistant.

I've noticed with another mauser I have which has the arsenal shellac, that when it heats up it get mildly sticky. And I imagine this one will do the same. Comments or recommendations please.

Page generated in 0.02863 seconds with 8 queries