View Single Post
Old July 22, 2012, 07:10 AM   #71
Ozzieman

I have owned two Taurus’s and both had problems. One had several. I still own the one because I like the gun so much (445) but I would never trust it.
Taurus basher, a term I find humorous, Taurus, hi-point fans seem to use it so often that it’s become part of the internet language so OK,2 things make me a Taurus basher.
First the 445, I’m not a gun smith so I had my friend (A great gun smith) repair it. I was there when he opened the side. I was dumb founded the amount of metal shavings and poor fitting parts that were in the gun. This was not from wear but crap left in during manufacturing process.
Second. Last year Taurus supplied the NRA for the “Rifleman” magazine two of their new models. I don’t remember which. Both guns had major failures. If a gun company supplies a gun to a major firearms writer for evaluation and you have a 100% failure rate then what is the remainder of their products like?
I found it funny that even with all the problems Rifleman still gave the guns a positive rating but if you get the magazine and read through it you won’t be surprised since the magazine is full of Taurus adds.
Tom Servo: I had similar experience as you. I worked in a large gun store in the 80’s and 90’s and although we didn’t carry Taurus. What I remember from that time is that when one came in for trade the owner of the store decided the value of all guns coming in. Taurus were never given more than 30 to 40% the cash value that he would give to like guns from Ruger or S&W. Autos he wouldn’t take at any price.
We also had a lot of people bring in guns that needed repair since we had a gun smith on hand that had a great reputation.
The only gun that came in in higher numbers than Taurus was the Backup 380. I know because the store owner kept records on all guns that came into the store for repair. I remember asking him why he didn’t take Taurus in on trade. He showed me his records.

Page generated in 0.03017 seconds with 8 queries