View Single Post
Old February 25, 2013, 09:40 AM   #64
Come and take it.

Quote:
44amp said:

Nice sentiment, but I don't think so. At least, not in my case. You see, I haven't bought more than a couple of boxes of ammo in the last 3-4 years. In fact, the sad truth is, I am not shooting much lately, simply because I cannot replace my ammo for anywhere near what I paid for it.

Now, I won't leave a friend defenseless, but sell it for what I paid? Not hardly. Because I bought back when prices were "normal", years ago. Selling it today for what I paid then? no. Perhaps, if I were in desperate need of cash, selling some of it at what I consider a fair market price (and not the hyper inflated panic prices today), MAYBE....

I didn't set out to be, nor am I equipped to be the Arsenal of Democracy. And I don't think many of the rest of us are, either.

let me give you an example, somewhere in the back room I have a case of 7.62mm NATO (still sealed), bought at the then going market price of $165.
Looking back now, I should have bought 5 (alas). If I had, then selling one might be an option. But do you seriously think I ought to sell some for what I paid for it? Just to be a nice guy? I try to be a nice guy, but I'm sorry, I'm just not that nice....

Makes me feel like the ant, surrounded by grasshoppers, whining "gimme, gimme, gimme, and gimme it CHEAP!!"

Heard a radio talk show host tonight, saying how he was going to take a CCW class, and buy a gun. He wants to be a gun owner, he wants to show solidarity with us. Beome one of us. While I almost laughed, I do wish him well. He can learn our pain, and suffer it with us now.

What I do wonder is why this well off middle aged gentleman is only NOW buying a gun?!!! That is part of the problem we have today. Lots and lots of people, for whom it was never any concern or interest suddenly have both. And their money has bought up everything in sight. Leaving very little for the rest of us. And THEY are complaining!

I'm rapidly growing deaf ears. I do have sympathy for the young folks just starting out in firearms, most of them with tight budgets. I was there myself once. What irks me is the well off folks, who spent years/decades ignoring the shooting sports/self defense now demanding their share, and claiming those of us who have spent decades building up a collection (and supplies to feed that collection) are HOARDERS!!!

You spent you money buying what you wanted. That's your right. I did the same. Good luck stopping the thief, or rapist with those stocks, bonds and gold bullion. Those are fine things, and money (in whatever form) is very useful. Virtually a necessity. But when you need bullets, nothing else will do.

The stuff is still out there, buy what you want, at what the market will bear. But insult me, imply I have done something bad (hoarder), and I really don't want to share my toys with a rude snot like you! Why don't you just get your pitchforks and torches and start chanting "Burn the witch!"

Sorry for being so snarky, but this really ticks me off.

Look at it this way, suppose I had a full tank of gas, and there was no more gas to be had. I'd drive you to the hospital if you needed to go. But I wouldn't siphon some out so you could drive your car to the lake to party. And I certainly wouldn't do it if you offered me $0.39 per gallon!

yes, I'm an old grump, especially on this issue. Hoarder!! pffft!

44 AMP
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 44 AMP
Send email to 44 AMP
Find More Posts by 44 AMP
Add 44 AMP to Your Contacts

Today, 02:10 AM #58
Tom Servo
Staff

Lots and lots of people, for whom it was never any concern or interest suddenly have both.

As a corollary, I'm pretty much over the idea that Joe Bob has to get his AR-15 and ammo before the ban, but he has no interest in doing anything to prevent the ban.

He'll waste all sorts of gas, money, time, and effort tracking down a couple of 30-round magazines, but he can't donate $50 to a 2nd Amendment organization. He'll regale me with his weird and often tasteless political theories, but he won't take the time to write his legislators. Heck, from what I've seen of the voter turnout numbers, he didn't even vote in the last few elections.

Once he's got the totem weapon he thinks he needs (and probably won't learn to use properly), his interest in the gun culture will wane to nearly zero. If the storm passes with no significant fallout, he'll grow tired of all that stuff he hoarded, and by late summer, it'll be a buyer's market for unfired military-pattern rifles and sealed cases of ammo.

We saw this in the 2008-2009 mess, and we're seeing it now, only on a larger scale.
offended much?

I never said to sell a person a 1000 rounds for what you gave for it. I also did not say to sell to everyone in your community what you paid for it.

What I meant was that friends, next door neighbors, closely associated coworkers or family who you have talked to who have NO ammo for a gun whatsoever, especially for those who have just bought a gun for the first time. To sell or simply just give them enough ammo for defense or for serious hunting for food purposes.

At least this much I know, that an opportunists is the last person I would trust in a gone south situation. So if you are fine with making a huge profit, at a person in needs expense, than be prepared to understand when you have trouble getting people to trust you for friendship or to have their back and back you up.

Of course this directly correlates with those of us who have more than enough ammo and than some to spare.

A friend in need, is a friend indeed.

Page generated in 0.02457 seconds with 8 queries