View Single Post
Old June 12, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
redneck

As far as magnification levels go, it really just depends on what your intended use of the gun is.
I have 3-9x40 scopes on 3 rifles (.22, .22mag, and .243). I have been very happy with this set up on the .22, but I rarely try and shoot it past 100 yards. It is mostly for plinking and small game, and gets used mostly around 50 yards. 9X magnification lets me see anything I need to quite well at that range and is still pretty clear even out to 100.

The .22 mag is a heavy single shot rifle I built and really only has been used for target shooting so far and I am wishing I would have put a higher power scope on it. It is a Redfield scope and has the accu-range reticle with a circle around the cross hairs. I find that past 100 yards the circle and cross hairs pretty well cover the target (I normally shoot 8" shoot N see targets) and make it difficult to get a really consistent sight picture. I can easily hit the target and would do just fine on ground hogs etc. with this scope but if you're trying for small groups on paper it gets frustrating.

I have the same issue on my .243 as the .22 mag. If I were just trying to hit the middle of a ground hog at 150 yards it would be fine. Or if I was using it for deer or coyote, it would be great for much farther distances. You have a bigger target in the scope to reference your point of aim, but if you're trying to shoot paper targets at longer distances they pretty much disappear in the middle of the cross hairs.

Page generated in 0.03764 seconds with 8 queries