View Single Post
Old November 6, 2011, 09:04 PM   #43
kraigwy

Quote:
It seems there's a consensus that 10 is over doing it
I'm not of that group.

First, I'll assume we are talking about testing for accuracy of the round/rifle and not zeroing the rifle (different story)

The number of rounds should be determined by how you plan on shooting the gun. For HP rapid fire stages, two 10 shot strings like you're going to shoot the match. Slow fire, then 10 to 2o rounds slow fire. Same postition you're going to shoot in a match.

Hunting. I zero then my accuracy is checked by shooting 3 6 in gongs. One at 110, one at 200 and one at 300. Then work my way back. I use featherweight winchesters so I'm limit the shots to 6.

Now if you want a good zero, shoot twenty rounds. Then draw a line from 12 to 6 oclock, then another round from 3 to 9 oclock. Now count the rounds in each quarter. Adjust until you get an equal number arounds in each quarter.

For zeroing a hunting rifle. I do the same. only 10 rounds is enough. The difference is shoot one round a day, for 10 days. regardless of weather. Use the same target and again divied it into quarters. Adjust until you get an equal number of rounds per quarter. On each day you shoot the one round, take a note book and record every thing possible about the weather and other enviormental condition. This will give you a true zero for your hunting rifle.

Unless you pack a shooting bench with you when you hunt, don't zero from the bench. Vary your positions, prone, setting, kneeling, standing, leaning against a fence post or tree, etc. Also record this with each shot you shoot.

You're only testing the first cold bore shot, Thats the one that counts anyway.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03348 seconds with 8 queries