View Single Post
Old December 9, 2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Being GOOD out to 400 yd...

takes PRACTICE.

Practice takes ammo. Lots of ammo. If you are serious about shooting at living things out to 400 yards, you owe it to the game, to your rifle, and to yourself, to get good enough to humanely kill them. Competitive target shooting will require you to be even better than that, and that requires more practice yet.

That means either being rich, or getting into reloading, to afford the necessary practice ammo.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but my tip/advice/suggestion is to get a good .22 rifle with a 'scope, and get really good with that at the range, out to 100 yd. Buying .22 rimfire ammo won't kill your wallet as much. Make friends with every rifleman at the range you can, and pick their brains. By the time you are good with the .22 at 100 (say, making consistent 1/2" 5-shot groups) you will have a much clearer idea of how far you want to pursue these ideas, and what direction(s) you should take. You are you; I'm not you. I can't be presumptuous and tell you "buy X rifle, in X caliber, and you will kill every fox within 400 yards just like that." You have to find that sort of thing out for yourself.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Bryceh 12321. You will find lots and lots of information and ideas here.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; December 9, 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.

Page generated in 0.03294 seconds with 8 queries