View Single Post
Old December 12, 2005, 12:25 AM   #46
Wayner

shooting my 58's

Well howdy. I wasn'y referring to soldering a dovetail when I mentioned the heat I think I referred to "soldering a sight". Anywhoooo, I can't see that the bumps in the barrel are real big and from excessive force tightening a dovetailed peice. I just thought it may be interesting for you guys to know that with dovetails and soldering sights on (like for 1860 Army Colt blades) the metal stress thing comes into play. The deformation into the bore from a dovetail is slight but "there all the same". I've dovetailed and had no problem with it also... or have I? I get a flyer every now and then. Maybe it's from a slight tight spot from that dovetail cut? I don't like to lap barrels because to do it properly takes too much doin and a barrel can get messed up with rounded corners on the lands and such so I just shoot and forget it. It's not like I'm talking about a sniper rifle or 22-250 ect.ect. Old Dragoon, what make "58" do you have? Uberti? Pietta? Pietta barrels come out relatively easy. I've had a gunsmith friend tell me that the Uberti's he's tried to remove barrels from have not given up the barrel. He said he thinks Uberti uses some form of industrial lock-tite or something. You aren't gonna need a new barrel anywhooo Old Dragoon.It's alright. Well, speaking about shooting a gun to the point the barrel was real hot isn't like heating "one small spot" as in soldering a sight. It's the heat in "one small spot that awakens the stress relieved thing" not uniformly heating a barrel from one end to the other and silver solder can need some heat unless you use the hi strength low temp stuff. Remington Kid, I'm happy that all the dovetails you've cut came out ok and that all of the guns you've dovetailed have accuracy that is unreal. Anywhooo, I just thought I'd try to add a little to the conversation and try to be "helpful". See ya Pards.

Page generated in 0.05722 seconds with 8 queries