View Single Post
Old December 17, 2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Your P228 is fine for IDPA Stock Service Pistol or IPSC/USPSA Production.
You may USE your full capacity magazines, you just can't load more than ten rounds for those Divisions. Except that you may load the FIRST IDPA magazine with eleven so as to start with 10+1 in the gun. USPSA doesn't allow that, just take along an extra mag in your pocket so you can chamber a round, load a full mag, and be ready to shoot with the minimum of fumbling around.

There are club locators on the organization websites.
www.IDPA.com and click on "IDPA affiliated organizations" and pick WY or CO on the map.
www.USPSA.org and either enter your ZIP code or click on "Where can I find a match?"
Don't search on IPSC, that is the international organization and we do things differently in America.

There are a lot of brands of Kydex holsters at reasonable prices. Blade Tech, Comp-Tac, Ready Tactical, Talon Tactical, probably others, but I have seen or used those. Fobus and Uncle Mike will get you by. They all sell matching mag carriers. You are allowed only two magazines on your belt in IDPA. USPSA calls for more, four is probably enough. Single carriers are more flexible about getting them located conveniently on your belt.

You need a stiff belt, the Wilderness nylon belt is very popular.
I wear Randolph Ranger shooting glasses but there are a lot of different choices. Don't wear a heavy tint sunglass to shoot unless you are terribly bothered by glare. Mine are light yellow for contrast.

You must know how to operate and shoot your gun.
You must know how to safely draw your gun, from under a concealment garment for IDPA.
You must know how to reload smoothly and safely - two different ways for IDPA.
You must know how to move around with a gun safely, including shooting on the move.
You must know how to shoot accurately and safely from different positions, kneeling, prone, around cover (especially cover in IDPA.)

A LOT of that stuff can be practiced dryfire. Your family may think you are peculiar for crouching behind your easy chair dryfiring at the bad guys on TV, but it will help you.

There is a lot to learn, but don't be intimidated, we all had to start somewhere.

I have four priorities:
1. Be safe. Don't shoot anybody, don't scare anybody, don't get disqualified for a safety rule violation.
2. Execute. Every Course of Fire (CoF) will be different. Pay attention to the instructions and walkthrough and shoot it right. Don't get procedural penalties.
3. Hit the target. Hit it in the middle. Shots outside the IDPA "zero down" or IPSC "A" zones are not worth as much to you.
4. Move along. Your time to complete the CoF is your score in IDPA (plus half a second for every point dropped, plus penalties) and is used to calculate your score (along with score on the targets and penalties) in IPSC. Don't run before you can walk, LITERALLY, but don't dawdle around, either.

And PAY ATTENTION. As a new shooter you will get lots of help. Pay attention and have a good time.

Page generated in 0.04020 seconds with 8 queries