View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Bill Akins

I have big hands so I like a grip that fills my hands adequately. I have four S&W 1917's and didn't care for the thinner width grips that came on three of them, the fourth one (my nickel and gold plated one) had acceptable width imitation stags on it, but they weren't Jay Scott's, but nice and wide enough for me to keep. So I put Jay Scott imitation stag grips on three of them. The Jay Scott grips are much thicker in width and fill my hands just right. Here's a few pics to show the width difference between the Jay Scott grips and other grips. If you have big hands and are interested in getting a pair of Jay Scott grips like mine, here's the info on them. I believe I got them as new old stock from Sarco. They are listed as number 21 and called 38144 Heavy Duty Outdoorsman Highway Patrolman and fits model N Frame S&W.

Two S&W 1917's side by side. The Jay Scott grips (noted above) are on the right in the below photo. See the big difference in how wider the Jay Scott's are compared to the other grips on the left?

Same thing only a little closer up.

So I put them on all my S&W 1917's (except for my nickel and gold plated one).

Same thick width Jay Scott grips on my commercial model S&W 1917.

Same thick width Jay Scott grips on my brushed nickel S&W 1917.

Same thick width Jay Scott grips on my "in the white" snubby 1917 I restored.

I left these imitation stag grips on my nickel and gold plated 1917. They weren't as thick as the Jay Scott ones on my other three 1917's, but they were thicker than others and looked so good and felt okay in my hands that I left them on. Not sure what make or model grips they are. They almost match my Jay Scott grips in looks though. This is one of my favorite 1917's. It is polished nickel plated with a gold plated cylinder, gold plated ejector rod, gold plated trigger and hammer, gold plated grip screw and escutcheon, gold plated cylinder release and gold plated lanyard loop.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 7, 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.02251 seconds with 8 queries