View Single Post
Old February 10, 2014, 07:49 AM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Americans have an almost ingrained belief that a "proper" holster is one that allows the gun to be drawn (and fired) in the easiest, most expeditious manner possible/practical. No one else does (unless they have adopted the American attitude).

You say this as if it were a bad thing, and because no one else does it, it must be so .....
Actually, I think it puts us ahead of the curve...

Quote:
Even our GI flap holster works faster.... We had a holster, they had a luggage case.

Since the principal advantage of a handgun is that it is handier than a long gun (at the expense of being relatively low powered), I see no reason to tote one around in a luggage case. Either it is immediately accessable, or it just dead weight.
Here's where we get into attitudes and opinions about what's most important, what's right for the situation, and what the situations are. What things you give up, to get other things, and personal, vs. institutional doctrine.

There's a world of difference between what would be proper wear for dealing with the possible mugger coming out of the next alley and what's best for living in the field for weeks at a time, where the risk of needing the pistol instantly are lower.

Quote:
I've read somewhere that most 20th century European militaries saw the pistol as a sort of badge of rank, much like the sword became after the advent of the rifled musket ..... the Americans, OTH ...... we wanted a handgun that would drop a horse, or a crazed Moro, and RIGHT NOW.
Quite true, particularly for officers above platoon/company level. Another place America has been ahead of the curve for a long time, our pistol was also a pretty good defensive tool. Being able to drop a horse was one of the original requirements, you know...

Page generated in 0.02657 seconds with 8 queries