View Single Post
Old October 22, 2013, 03:42 AM   #10
HiBC

I have access to a Bridgeport.That spoils me a bit.Creativity and a drill press will take you pretty far.

I might drill my holes in the slabs first.then shape the grips.

If you put the slabs in a drill press vise,or any square,straight workholding device,you can slide it on a fence clamped to the table,so the spindle is centered on the centerline of the grip slabs.

Now,set a stop(C clamp?) for either your workpiece or vise to stop against.

Datum 1 is the table,datum 2 is the fence,datum 3 is the stop.Precise location.Now you need a spacer,anything 3.062,(and,it can be stacked,like gage blocks),to place between the stop and your vise or workpiece,to move it 3.062.

On a mill,I center workpieces and holes,line things up,and "tram" the mill head square to the table with a dial test indicator...but,if you do not have one,you would be amazedhow close you can set up just putting a bent piece of wire in the chuck and using it to center a workpiece,etc.

Bend the wire and rotate the chuck to find one edge,rotate the chuck 180 deg,look at the gap.Move the workpiece half way.Do it again.With patience,a good eye,and/or a loupe,you can work to .002 or .003,easy.Its like using open sights.Same gap each side.

Keep having fun!

Oh,look in the online tool catalogue like MSC or Enco at "transfer punches" and "transfer screws".See if those give you ideas.I doubt you can buy any just exactly right,but they might give you an idea.

If you want to make yourself crazy,go on ebay and search "ironwood slabs "or"stag horn slabs" etc...one thing will lead to another!

Last edited by HiBC; October 22, 2013 at 03:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.03044 seconds with 8 queries