View Single Post
Old June 3, 2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I was wanting to find different ideas on how to reload my 270. Winchester
I would like to hear just about anything relevant.
As mentioned above, grab up a book or 4, and get to reading up on it.

That said I have had a 270 in the stable for nearly 20yrs and have had a ball playing around with it. I have loads from mild to wild and just about all of them will pretty easily group around an inch or less at 100 and a couple at 200yds.

One of my very favorite loads uses IMR-3031 and a 130gr Nosler bullet. It is VERY mild recoiling and super accurate out past where most folks don't need to be shooting. My oldest grandson at 11 last fall reached out 250+ yards and put one in the ear of a nice fat boar hog. His shot was off a mono pod we use when we just go out for a walk about on the farm.

Stick with powders in the IMR or Hodgdon 4350 range, or maybe some RL-19 or 22. You don't need to use magnum primers with any of the loads.

Pick out a good bullet in a 130, 140, or 150gr what ever you flavor and go have fun. If you keep your loads in the middle of the load ranges for most powders you won't be bothered with having to trim your cases every couple of loads. Some of the ones i am using with that 3031 load have been loaded close to 10 times with no real trimming needed other than to simply square up the mouth.

Hope that helps.

Page generated in 0.03738 seconds with 8 queries