View Single Post
Old September 18, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
stonewall50

Active shooter plan

I feel that we need a discussion on what the priorities and duties of an LEO vs Concealed Carry. I say this because I feel it is important for us Concealed holders to understand that we are NOT LEO. If someone IS an LEO...they have different ROE dictated by a different civic duty goals. Anyway here is my plan.

Now running down a gameplan type list of my priorities WITH gun:
1)Take cover/Move. This is absolutely the most important part of ANY plan. If you watch the 20/20 episode on "Gun's in the Classroom" you will notice of their MANY flaws in their NON-Scientific, control variable lacking, "experiment," that every STUDENT who had a gun did NOT take cover when the shooter entered the room. The fact that they KNEW the shooter was coming in and had already PLANNED to attack is what got them shot. Had they not known the incident was going to happen...and planned on taking cover first they would have stood a chance.(take that anti-gun liberal "news" I will use your fake test as a way to learn how to improve my real world game plan).
2)Assess the situation and determine best option (fight or flight...who is the threat...with what are they threatening).
Shooter in Range:
A) Do I have the advantage? Is he Aware? If no to advantage then stay down...or return fire as situation dictates.
B) Can I hit him without hitting anyone else? If no to above...well I will do my best, but I am probably going to attempt to kill him if he is shooting at me.
C) If yes to A&B...Shoot to kill.
D)Aftermath plan...scan crowd with weapon LOWERED...call police. Clear and holster weapon, take cover, stay on phone with dispatch. make sure the cops know I am a good guy.

Shooter out of Range:
A)Who do I need to get out of the situation in my immediate area? Family, Friends, Bystanders? I am not the police and my first priority should be to ensure the safety of others and myself.
B)If I get those around me out...who needs medical attention? I am First Aid/CPR, not LEO.
C)If I do not need to assist in moving people OUT...can I move foward without detection?
D)Are there any other armed people in my area(friendlies that I might shoot at ME or I can coordinate with...including LEO that may require assistance...and in the case to LEO, do they want it?) moving foward or in place?
E)Which way is the shooter moving? Can I get the drop? Will I make him aware?
F)MOVE FOWARD and proceed to shooter in range steps.

My FIRST priority is to ensure the safety of those around me by MY actions with my BRAIN and my FIREARM. By that I mean...are my actions that of a responsible, NON-Law Enforcement, CIVILLIAN? If I press the attack and the shooter is out of SIGHT, I am no longer retreating and PROBABLY doing more harm than good in an active shooter situation. If he is only in rifle range the effect is still really the same. I have a handgun. I can justify very little in terms of attack. That is for ME too. That is what I have determined MY abilities can do. I think that most of this plan can work itself out within split seconds...some of it may take a little longer and a bit of force on our part, like situational awareness and actually doing a REAL scan.

Page generated in 0.03538 seconds with 8 queries