View Single Post
Old September 29, 2004, 05:18 PM   #17
45+

Pleasure is a very subjective thing. What one shooter likes, another hates. So I have some suggestions for you.

1) Taurus makes the Raging Bull in 30 Carbine, and that is more like a 357 Magnum. Although a rifle round, it is not as "hot" as the 357 in full power loads, and it might let you have a Raging Bull in a caliber more suited to your taste. You might consider that as an option.

2) Probably the best thing to do would be to shoot the guns you are considering, or at least all the calibers, if that is possible. See what you think about each of them. Even if this is expensive to do, it is cheaper than buying a gun you do not like. Someone mentioned "mid-range" ammo. That is a good thing to try. Winchester Silvertip ammo is somewhat "tamer" in both calibers than most of the other loadings offered. Perhaps shooting the 44 Special ammo will fulfill your desires. Cor-Bon makes a 44 Mag "Defensive" round that is pretty tame for a 44 Mag. It depends on what you want. Maybe ammo selection is a partial solution to your quest.

3) But the thing that will probably let you do what you want is to start handloading. You can custom tailor the ammo to be what you want it to be. And you can start with a very simple and relatively inexpensive set up. John Taffin writes about how to handload for days when "you do not want a lot of recoil" for both the 41 and 44. These loads will probably take care of your "wind in the face" problem in either caliber, and should you ever come to love the "wind in your face", you can load for that as well.

Whatever you decide, best to ya'.

Page generated in 0.02997 seconds with 8 queries