View Single Post
Old January 4, 2006, 02:05 PM   #23
azredhawk44

I use my semiauto rifle in .308 (M1a) for hunting in thick brush, for dangerous game. Bears and hogs.

Otherwise, it just goes to the range and goes "bang! bang!" with mil surplus ammo at 200-300 yard targets with iron sights. Lotsa fun.

I am considering puting a scope on it... I have the mount already but I really like the iron sights a lot. We'll see.

Definitely going to purchase a bolt rifle in .308 this year and get a wicked-accurate scope for it, and get it sighted in flat at 200 yards. I'll probably also get a .300winmag or .338 soon too. I'll sight that in flat at 250 or 300, depending on what that does to the 100-150 yard POI.

The .22LR is for coyotes, rabbits, doves, raccoons and other varmints. Be kind to your first deer and get something in .30 caliber.

If your terrain is mostly wooded with short shots, you can consider a semiauto rifle in .308 or .30-06, but that first shot will always be your best no matter what. Another good short-range gun is a lever action .30-30. A little slower cartridge than .308 or .30-06, so it isn't as effective out past about 200 yards.

If you're looking to shoot over 200 yards, get a good bolt action and the best scope you can afford. Go with .308 or .30-06 since they are extremely common, and have mil surplus ammo available for dirt cheap. Don't even buy commercial ammo until you have shot at least 200 rounds of surplus and/or can make a group of 5 bullet holes touch each other consistently at 100 yards. Have a gunsmith or knowledgeable friend "bore-sight" your scope for you, or you will burn a lot of ammo learning how to do it yourself.

Page generated in 0.03406 seconds with 8 queries