View Single Post
Old October 26, 2001, 11:11 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Odds are that there would not be much difference from one bullet to another where the point of impact is, so re-sighting to set up for hunting is no big deal. shoot three, move the group center, check it, and go hunting...

For whitetail, I'd go with whatever 150-grain flat-based bullet suits you. I'd never use a target-style bullet because they're not designed to expand.

I've no idea how skilled you are, or how much hunting experience you have. So, I tend to recommend avoiding neck or head shots for most folks if Ol' Bambi is much over 50 or 75 yards out. Only you can know, of course.

Out at 200 or 300 yards, I'd recommend a heart/lung shot unless you know you are highly skilled. I'm talking the awkward-rest situation here, of course; benchrest groupings are meaningless.

I've used the Remington Bronze Points, Hornady Spire Points, and various Sierra bullets. They all work just fine. Any of them will give groups which are plenty good enough for deer hunting. I'd say that any three-shot group inside one MOA is more than "just okay".

You're running a bit late in the year, but I always suggest a few boxes of practice, offhand, at beer cans out around 75 to 100 yards...

FWIW,

Art

Page generated in 0.02780 seconds with 8 queries