View Single Post
Old May 20, 2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Flyboy_451

Austin,

Bear in mind that barrel length is quite often a matter of personal preference more so than actual performance. Several others have posted that they prefer the longer barrels, and while I would never disparage another man's preferences on such a matter, I do hold a different point of view.

I find that a barrel length of 4 to 5 1/2 inches provides an excellent combination of size, power and performance. The biggest advantage to the longer barrels is a longer sight radius. The velocity gains claimed by many are often over estimated. This is particularly true when we are talking about handloads vs. off the shelf ammo. check out the following link showing real world differences in barrel length and velocities of a small sampling of .44 ammo.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

As for accuracy, the shortest barreled .44 that I own is a 3 3/4" that is perfectly capable of putting an average of four out of six shots onto a paper plate at one hundred yards, shooting offhand. My handload in this gun is a 250 grain hard cast Kieth bullet that clocks just shy of 1200fps. No matter how ya slice it and dice it, that is accurate, packable power.

Shooting magnum class handguns requires patience and practice. The mental focus required to shoot small, powerful handguns well is not something that you develop overnight.

Regardless of what choice you ultimately make, handloading will allow you to practice more by reducing cost, as well gaining the ability to tailor loads to your needs and your gun. Another advantage of handloading is the use of cast bullets. Yes, this is an advantage. A cast bullet of proper design will very often out perform jacketed bullets. They can be driven faster than a jacketed bullet with the same amount pressure. Contrary to popular belief, they do not simply punch a caliber size hole, and the typically provide better penetration. To truly take advantage of the big boomers, handloading is nearly a requirement.

Good luck! You are about to set forth on an exciting and rewarding journey!

JW

Page generated in 0.03512 seconds with 8 queries