View Single Post
Old May 1, 2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Match gear vs. reality

This weekend I shot the River City hosting of the Fiesta Regional IDPA match. It was great fun and I met a great set of folks. Hi, Dave - if you read this!

Some of the stages were interesting for the following reason. You had to start sitting down with your gun and mag separate. At the beep, you had to retrieve said gun and stow the mag and then get into the fight.

Thus, folks threw them into pockets, stuff into belts, etc. When they needed them - they couldn't find them in their pockets, they felt out of belts or down your leg, etc.

Some complained a bit about that as they preferred a classic stage where you are set to go in your full gear - which you never really wear outside or if not at a match. I thought it was a great idea. I stowed my mag deliberately in my mag pouch as the RO said it was OK. Some folks thought that would slow you down. I don't care as my purpose is to have fun and shoot somewhat realistically.

I had to laugh at folks who arranged the mags on the table in a manner to grasp them quickly. I guess I would worry if I were in there to win.

One guy had a mag well that looked so huge on his 1911. I don't think he carries that everyday.

But it was a great day and a great time. I would have won if there was a division for senior, full professor, cognitive psychologists shooting SSP.

Page generated in 0.02035 seconds with 8 queries