View Single Post
Old April 25, 2000, 06:24 PM   #4
Banzai

I use tons of Berry's bullets, and I've only been loading them in 9/40/45 for the last month or so.

I always use the starting grains from the jacket listings, and I've tried the Do Not Exceed listings from the lead side of the house.

The low end loads for copper jackets work the best. Very mild, light on the powder, VERY accurate, and mild recoil. The perfect plinking fodder or IDPA budget loads.

And yes, there is a difference between plated and washed bullets.

.22 rimfire bullets are a perfect example of "Washed" bullets. Typically no more than .0015 copper coating, and in big bores, require bullet lube. The bullets from National Bullet Company are available in standard lead, or "Washed" which they call plated!! Use ONLY the LEAD loads for washed bullets.

Berrys are "Plated". Typically, an .015 undersized lead bullet is cast/swaged, then plated with about .008 copper (that's .016 overall, allowing .001 overall for sizing), much like the way that Speer Gold Dots are made. With the addition of .008 all the way around, the plated bullet can then be sized to the exact size, loosing only about .001 overall off the plating.
Speer roll swages theirs to the final size with special tools that form the tips and bases, and that's what helps make those cool hollow points so uniform and why there's no sizing marks.
Berrys are close tolerance, though, so they don't have to resize after plating. I've found them to be vary about + or - .0005 or less, which pretty much fits the bill for me with my high volume reloading and shooting!!!!! And the price is fantastic 'round here!

Happy shooting!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

Page generated in 0.02531 seconds with 8 queries