View Single Post
Old November 23, 2012, 08:55 PM   #24
LockedBreech

I'm one of the more vocal proponents of .40 S&W around here. I've shot a LOT of the round, for about 14 years now. While I'm doubtless missing some excellent platforms, in my opinion this is the best of the best short list:

Beretta PX4 Storm full-size
Est. Cost $425-475

Reasoning: I've owned one for 4+ years and fired over 4,000 flawless rounds. The rotating barrel makes it feel almost like a 9mm

Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Est. Cost $450-500

Reasoning: My friend just got one of these. Out of the box, no cleaning, we put 300 flawless cheap FMJs through it. Recoils very comfortably. Accurate, well-built, and tough. The quality is there and for the 450-500 price it's a steal. Great stock sights. These guns may just be destined to steal Glock's crown.

Sig Sauer P229
Est. Cost $700-900

Reasoning: Designed from the ground up as a .40 gun, like many are these days. If you can swing the cost, it can be argued there still isn't a .40 that does it better.

HK P2000
Est. Cost. 700-900

Reasoning: Like most HKs, incredibly tough. This updated version of the legendary USP will eat the hottest .40 all day long.

Glock G22/G23 Gen 4
Est. Cost $525-600

Reasoning: The .40 versions of the Gen 4 Glocks are the most reliable and trouble free, since a lot of the issues with other calibers were caused by making the .40 versions better. Captive recoil spring handles recoil quite well. These guns are decently affordable and very tough with great capacity. But budget 650, not 550, as you'll need better sights.

Beretta 96A1
Est. Cost $550-600

Reasoning: Mostly nostalgia. The 96G is what I learned to shoot on at 10 years old. That said, the A1 update makes some great changes. Gen 3 locking blocks and an internal frame buffer give it much better long-term toughness than the 96D or 96G, and the weight and size of the pistol make .40 a pussycat. Magazines on the A1 hold one more round than they used to, some metal parts (trigger, safety/decocker, etc.) are polymer costed for anti-corrosion. Full-length Picatinny for lights and lasers. My large hands find the 92/96 a very comfortable platform, easy to shoot well.

Happy shopping! When you pick one, I like the 180-grain and 165-grain weights of Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Winchester Ranger T-Series. I use 180-grain now, but reading about bullet setback issues in that weight have led me to switch over to the 165 next go-around.

Last edited by LockedBreech; November 23, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.03403 seconds with 8 queries