Thread: AK or Mini-14
View Single Post
Old July 17, 2012, 01:36 AM   #5
bamaranger

caliber

Hey Nine.
I'm a Mini-30 fan, becasuse I'm a fan of the x39mm cartridge. For me it is a better choice, as I believe the heavier bullets available up in .30 cal make it a more viable medium game getter ((deer mostly, maybe hogs) . You don't mention huntng, so the heavy bullet issue doesn't apply in your choice. BAck in the day, x39mm ammo was once dirt cheap. Those days are over, so ammo cost doesn't figure in our case (anymore) either.

As a fun gun, w/ an eye towards PD/HD, the .223 makes sense for you and thus the Mini-14. A mini will scope easier than most AK's, have a better trigger outright, and factory high cap mags are readily available. The new Mini14's are alleged to be pretty accurate too. As a GP rifle, the wood stocked, flush mag mini's have a pretty domestic appearance as well, if that matters. ( not to me, but to some)

As far as AK's go, I like them too. But I don't see them in the same light as a mini. A semi AK is not as versatile as a Mini in either caliber, with trigger, optic and usually accuracy issues. Nothing much looks like an AK, or has their aura, so if you really want all that, an AK is your only answer, but I think is is not as useful a rifle.

Page generated in 0.03519 seconds with 8 queries