View Single Post
Old December 8, 2013, 07:12 PM   #29
Tad_T

I have a Ruger American in .30-06 with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 with Ballistic Drop Compensating reticle.

After carrying black rifles professionally for 21 years, I decided that I would rather have mine not all black, either. I did a redneck Krylon Multicam paint job on my stock with three coats of matte clear over it. I used Multicam wrap on the barrel and scope and painted the Butler Creek flip up caps.

I don't have a problem with the stock on mine even though I know that some folks complain about it.

I also don't find the recoil bad on my American, even though that is another common complaint that I hear. I am used to shooting .30-06 rifles. That might make a difference in my perception of the recoil from this rifle.

I have two M1 Garands, an M1903A3, and an M1917. I like the cartridge and I am setup to reload for it. That is why I bought an American in .30-06.

The Nikon ballistic program said that using 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt's that I should zero 0.78" high at 50 yards to be dead on at 200 yards.

I zeroed the rifle and on my last group I fired three rounds touching with the center about 3/4" high.

I put four clay pigeons on a rock outcropping at 200 yards and busted them all four with four shots firing from prone, sling supported. If you notice the rifle has a GI web sling.

Since the clay pigeons are 4 1/4" in diameter and I busted each of them with one shot aiming center mass, I figured that my zero was confirmed and that I had found an accurate load for it.

So, my Ruger American in .30-06 with a Nikon Buckmaster shoots within about 1 MOA with factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ammunition.

I am happy with my rifle and I have no complaints about it at all.

I do need to shoot it at some longer ranges to confirm the dope sheet that I printed out from the Nikon program matches the reticle at longer ranges.

Also on my 'round to it list is to work on doing some load development. Until then I figure that I will keep shooting the Core-Lokt's.

Page generated in 0.02253 seconds with 8 queries