View Single Post
Old August 2, 2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Jim243

Quote:
Am I missing any disadvantages that I might incur as a result of this short OAL loading?
Excessive leading of the barrel.

Quote:
Less case capacity, smaller charge (to maintain safe pressures)
Not always true, sometimes a short(light) charge will creat higher pressures. Bullet does not leave the case or barrel as it should and creates a higher back presssure.

I am getting too old for this CrPP. You are creating a second problem (maybe) in trying to correct your number one problem. Solve that one first then go on to the second (of course the second will not exist if you solve the first.)

Number one, have you made a dummy round with your cases and bullet. No primer and no powder. This is where you should start first. Then find out why your 125gr lee truncated cone TL bullets are not working at a OAL of 1.15.

My first guess is that the bullet needs to be swedged more, the 9mm case is a tapered case, smaller at the mouth than the base (head). Standard 9mm bullets (jacketed) are .355 If these fit and feed without any problems than that's your problem, the width of the case and bullet inside the case is too large for your chamber. Does not have to be a lot, but if in a new gun then it will need ammo that is more to spec.

Second take a resized case by it's self and see if it will fit in your chamber (should if your brass is not too long), But if you flared the case mouth to get your cast bullet into the case without shaving any lead off the bullet, you need to check that you crimp the case just so slightly that the mouth of the case is pushed back to were it should be to feed properly.

If you are getting line and groves on the bullet at 1.150 you sould be OK since the case indexes on the mouth of the case. As long you are going to full battery you should not have any problems with soft lead. However I would not do that with jacketed bullets that require more energy to get started in the barrel that would create excesesive pressure.

When all else fails go to jacketed bullets and get a different set of molds with a bullet that will fit your gun.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; August 2, 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.04004 seconds with 8 queries