View Single Post
Old January 31, 2014, 11:31 AM   #9
chaska

Quote:
If the JC Higgins barrel isn't chrome lined (some were, in 270 and 30-06) or uses iron sights, then while barrel is off true up the action shoulder, C-ring, and bolt face.
It is a 270 and I believe chrome lined. It has iron sights so if I understand your suggestion, any machining at this point will mean the sights on the barrel will not end up at the top. Since the fit looks to be good I thought I could remove the barrel and when done with the action tighten it back to the same position.

If I am to reblue the barrel can I remove the sights and fill the holes? Is this something a smith could do for me?

I can only speculate about the history of my rifle but I think it had a FN action that someone used on a different rifle, put the rough military action I now have on my barrel and put a commercial style bolt on. Then they did a hack job of fitting it in a Fajen stock.

I have a good barrel, good bolt (now that I cleaned it up and polished it) but I need to bend the handle back a little, and an action that is pretty rough but salvageable. With a little bedding work it should fit my B&C stock and I will have what I hope to be a nice shooting 270.

That's the plan anyways.

Page generated in 0.01954 seconds with 8 queries