View Single Post
Old October 14, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Daekar

Yeah, I considered the 45acp, but it just doesn't stretch enough with different weights.

I should explain better (now that I'm not typing on a cellphone!), this chambering will be the heavier in a pair (the first being 357mag) for a few specific uses:
1) Introducing extremely blast- and recoil-sensitive shooters to non-rimfire cartridges
2) Quiet (relatively) plinking
3) Short range hunting - up to Eastern Whitetail. Bears wouldn't be on the menu with subsonic loads, that's not in my comfort zone even if its possible

Obviously, a supressor will be necessary to really get the sound and blast down.

As far as I can tell, using the right powders to make sure I use up enough case volume, I can load a 357 below 9mm power with the lightest bullets, and I've seen posts about people using up to 215 SWCs. That's a good spread for the first few steps. This gun would continue that gradient.

It would be great if I could get all the way to 1000ft*lbs and stay @ about 1000fps, which should be about a 450gr bullet. I think that's manageable with a 45-70, but I'm getting conflicting information on the web about the lightest bullet which will be accurate and stable out of a 45-70. Some people say 300 is the lightest to go, which means I'd have to drop my velocity target to about 800fps to get the lowest energy load where I would want it.

Is that about as clear as mud?

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 8 queries