View Single Post
Old August 28, 2010, 09:49 PM   #84
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The excise tax that the Pittman-Robertson Act started, can be found in the U.S. Code as: TITLE 26 > Subtitle D > CHAPTER 32 > Subchapter D Part III, § 4181 imposes the tax on shells and cartridges.

As I was looking this stuff up, I discovered the Dingell-Johnson Act of 1950, which did much the same for the sports-fisher as the Pittman-Robertson Act did for the Hunter.

Interesting that Part I, § 4161, imposes the Tax on Fishing equipment. § 4162 lists the definitions, of which § 4162(a)(5)(G) is .... Sinkers.

While the EPA decision was based upon TSCA § 3(2)(B)(v), which excludes ammunition from any EPA authority, I think there is another problem with the EPA messing with ammo or, sinkers.

Banning lead from sinkers would be directly infringing on the power of Congress to lay and collect taxes. Since the Dingell-Johnson excise taxes go to specific watershed conservation efforts, monkeying with the amount that the IRS collects just might start a battle the EPA is ill equipped to face.

You fishermen out there, need to get in gear to oppose this on conservation grounds.

Page generated in 0.04535 seconds with 8 queries