Thread: Trespassing v2
View Single Post
Old August 25, 2010, 03:37 PM   #3
sakeneko

AZRedhawk44 -- I'd add a third question to that. When do the circumstances of a trespass justify the assumption that the trespasser poses a threat to your life or the lives of others? I certainly wouldn't shoot a trespasser if I knew them or could tell that they were not a threat.

I also wouldn't threaten to shoot anybody who was outside of my home for simple trespass either. If they had an unholstered gun in hand, or another weapon that they were credibly threatening to use, that would be a different matter. If they were threatening to beat me up/senseless and they were obviously bigger/stronger than me, that might also be a different matter.

But simple trespass alone? Heck, no. Even if a drunk lacks the wit to value his own life and climbs into my house through the window, I won't be operating under the same disability. A human life is worth more than any material object.

The issue is distinguishing between a simple trespass or burglar, and somebody who really is threatening your life. :/

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries