View Single Post
Old July 4, 2009, 07:14 AM   #13
taylorce1

I don't think the ship has sailed at all on the Partition. Yes they are made differently these days, as they are no longer lathe turned jackets. By improving the process that they are made, all they have done is keep the bullets affordable. The Partition's basic design has stayed unchanged since it was first made. It may not be the most modern bullet out there, but it will still be around as long as lead core bullets are being made.

There is a 140 grain Nosler Partition but I've never seen any factory ammunition made using that bullet, it has always been the 150. If the OP reloads this isn't a problem as he can use what ever is most accurate out of the .270 Win. 150's just shoot well out of my .270 Win and I wouldn't be afraid to take any shot on an elk with that combination within normal hunting distances and I know they work out to 250 yards no problem.

Barnes is a good bullet, and the trend sure seems to be going all copper with CA banning lead in Condor zones as well as other States doing lead in game meat studies. The problem I have with them is that they always recommend dropping weight, so keeping it relevant to the original post they would suggest the 130 grain bullet over the 150 grain in a .270. The reason is you need to drive these bullets faster to make them work better.

Copper is much harder to deform than lead and Barnes had a lot of expansion problems with the original X bullet; not to mention copper fouling and increased chamber pressures. That is why we now have the TSX and TTSX bullets, designed with deeper hollow points and ballistic tips to get the bullet to mushroom over a wider range of velocities, and groves to reduce copper fouling and chamber pressures. However the trend in these bullets in all calibers is to push them as hard as you can and I'd still prefer to shoot elk with a 150 grain bullet loping along at 2800+ fps than a 130 grain blazing along at 3000+ fps.

As far as the Accubond goes, I'm sure it is a great product just like everything else put out by Nosler. I just wrote what I was told by a close friend of mine when I was considering using the 180 grain Accubond on my Alaskan bear hunt but I went with a Partition instead. Partitions worked like expected, I punched a hole through both shoulders on my bear, leaving a golf ball sized exit in the off side at 200 yards DRT no tracking through the bush required. I could have probably done just as well with another bullet but the fact is Partitions still work even through heavy bone.

I will try the Accubonds as I picked up some 260 grain for my .375 Ruger at 50% off when the local gun shop went out of business. I'm sure they will do the job on any elk I come across if I'm able to put the bullet where it belongs. Since this is still a lead core bullet I would recommend using the heaviest Accubond that shoots accurately when hunting elk. 140 grain is the heaviest bullet in the Accubond and I think the 10 grains is just a little added insurance over the 130 grain.

Page generated in 0.02683 seconds with 8 queries