View Single Post
Old February 2, 2005, 12:42 PM   #44
Ackley Improved User

Don't MIX or MIX-UP powders!

I've never blown a gun, but I've blown a few primers. Whan the latter happened, I knew it was a distinct possibility. I believe the easiest (and most common) loading mistake is to MIX-UP the powders - that is, substitute a fast burning powder when a slow-burning powder should have been used. I try to stick to slow burning powders - expecially when I'm developing a new load and pushing 65,000 psi. I also guide my loading by chronographing every load and checking expected performance with the NECO internal ballistics program. Hence, I know at what pressure I'm operating by knowing the velocity and NECO program predictions. Also, check your primer pockets by "feeling" the primer go into the case as you use a hand-held case primer tool. When the pockets are getting loose after a few loadings, you know you're at or above 65,000 psi and it's time to STOP - you don't want to freeze a case in the chamber and watch the trophy of a lifetime walk over the hill. It is also improtant, to weigh every charge yourself, and approach every HOT load from "below" with incremental increases in powder at 0.5 grain intervals. Finally, ONLY SHOOT FIRST-RATE GUNS, preferably modern bolt action rifles.

Page generated in 0.02493 seconds with 8 queries