View Single Post
Old January 1, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
flintlock.50

I've killed 5 deer in two years with a 165 gr Hornady SST in .30-06.

Four of the 5 dropped in their tracks, including very nice 8-point and 9-point bucks. The exit wound was very small, but the chest cavities of both bucks were filled with red soup. Here's this year's buck, taken at 176 yds. Some blood from the exit wound is just visible.

The same was true for one doe last year. Another doe last year was killed with a head shot at 60 yards, so nearly any bullet would work. I've used the head shot photos below for a firearm safety lecture. (The entrance wound is the small purple dot between her ear and eye. The exit wound surprised even me.)

This year I shot a doe at 80 yards. She dashed into the brush and ran about 40 yards before she dropped. The shot was perfect and she had an exit wound about the size of a 50 cent piece where the bullet hit a rib. I don't see how she ran at all. I'd have just laid down and died if I were hit that way.

I've also killed three antelope with this bullet at distances of 178, 297 and 402 yards. Only the goat at 402 yards required a second shot, but that was my fault. I didn't have time to range him and he was trotting with his harem at about 5 mph. I didn't lead him enough with the first shot, which more or less field dressed him. The second shot put him down.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!

Page generated in 0.03088 seconds with 8 queries