Thread: Hunters safety.
View Single Post
Old September 5, 2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Daryl

I took a HSC back in '79, and had to re-take it to get the permanent bonus point for the big game drawings that Arizona offers.

I lost the book after the first class, and was the only person in the class to ace the test at the end.

I got a real kick out of the instructor when he did a demo at the range. He set a grapefruit up at 15 yards to show how much damage a 30-06 would do to it, and then missed it three times in a row before he finally hit it. I'm pretty sure he was thinking his rifle would hit high at such a close distance, so aimed low. That, combined with the fact that a scoped rifle actually shoots low at that range if sighted properly caused him to undershoot the grapefruit. There was three holes through the box it was sitting on.

As prone to mistakes as some of these instructors may be, they perform a valuable service to the hunting and shooting community. For that I'm grateful, and certainly hold nothing against them for being human.

Some are, of course, better than others. If one was having trouble with muzzle control, I'm not sure I'd turn my kids loose at the range with him unless I was there to "supervise".

Daryl

Page generated in 0.07533 seconds with 8 queries