View Single Post
Old April 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
carguychris

FWIW Wal-Mart, Target, and various other discount stores sell high-visibility gun sight marking paint, it's just located in the Cosmetics aisle and is labeled "Nail Polish" for some strange reason. I would suggest trying that first.

If the sights don't have dots on them, I personally prefer painting the front sight with a bright color such as orange and leaving the rear sights as-is. I find it's a lot easier to pick up the front sight in a hurry this way.

BTW if you finally decide to install aftermarket sights, I have a few words of advice...
  • The adjustable sight unit used on 2nd- and 3rd-gen S&W "Traditional Double Action" (TDA) pistols will not fit on a fixed-sight slide or vice versa; the dovetail on the slide of an adjustable sight pistol is much wider.
  • According to a brief search of parts numbers, it seems that 3rd-gen 69xx-series sights will NOT fit directly on your gun. (It may be possible to modify them, but I don't know for sure.)
  • It IS possible to fit the entire slide from a 3rd-gen 69xx-series gun onto a 2nd-gen x69-series gun.
  • Your gun does NOT have factory Novak sights. These were used on 3rd-gen pistols made after late 1989. The early 3rd-gen blade-style sights do NOT interchange with the Novaks because the dovetails are different. (These facts are not clear in some online catalogs.)
  • The rear sight on a TDA pistol retains the plungers and springs for the mag disconnect and firing pin safety! These parts WILL go flying and get lost if you are careless when you drift out the rear sight!

Page generated in 0.03214 seconds with 8 queries